ComedySportz High School League®
The ComedySportz High School League® is the largest, most successful improv training program for high school students in the country.
ComedySportz High School League® empowers students to create their own theatre and nourishes their communication skills through improvisational theatre workshops and performances. It encourages their individuality and provides the forum to succeed or fail in a safe environment that combines showmanship and sportsmanship. The League provides an extracurricular activity that goes beyond stage work into everyday situations. And the students just think they're having fun!
Saturday April 29, 2017 at 10:00AM
We play improvisation as a team sport, with two teams "competing" for audience laughs. The stage is covered in turf, there's a referee and the players are in uniform. It's not comedy about sports; it's comedy played as a sport. Because everyone knows what a sport is, there is immediate buy-in from the audience. People who have never been to the theatre before walk through the door because they're not intimidated. Because it's improvisational, it's always different, and you will have fans that come to every performance.
Benefits for Teachers:
- Your students learn improvisation from the professionals - people who actually get paid to do it.
- Takes the burden of directing multiple shows each year off of teachers
- Allows students to cultivate leadership skills
- Allows teachers to offer awesome opportunities without huge time and effort investment
- Small budget investment for major pedagogical return
Benefits for Students:
- Chance to grow as performers, leaders, artists and teachers
- Chance to grow a caring, compassionate, inclusive community from the ground up
- Great for resumes
- Stage time!